We enjoyed deliciously ambient weather last Thursday and I couldn't be more pleased with how the class went. We began outside doing a little "yard work": planting bulbs and digging and raking with child sized tools. After that we enjoyed some hoola-hoop games on the front lawn. Rolling large hoola-hoops down the hill and then dragging them back up was a good way to expend some energy before sitting down and making a craft project.
Bird Buffet: a Bird Feeder Tutorial
What you need:
- pipe cleaners
- Cheerios breakfast cereal
- Tahini thickened with flour
- blunt needles
- cardboard or thick paper
1) Begin by having the children thread the cheerios through the pipe-cleaners.
2) Twist ends of pipe cleaners together to make a ring. You can link together several rings if you'd like.
3) Use blunt needle and thread and carefully thread through some pinecones (ages 5+). Attach pinecone decoration to cheerio ring.
4) Paint on tahini mixture all over the entire piece. It make a glue for the birdseed and the popcorn. Peanutbutter can be used here, but tahini (sesame paste) makes a good peanut substitute.
5) Allow to dry on the cardboard for 2 hours and then hang the feeder from a nearby tree. Watch the birds enjoy the buffet!